Anidesha Chuli 2014 Expedition
The next project for Backyard and Beyond is to attempt to climb Anidesha Chuli.
Anidesha Chuli is a stunning, and unclimbed, Himalayan mountain in the Kangchendzonga region of eastern Nepal, bordering both India and China.
During April and May 2014, New Zealand climbers Shelley and Paul Hersey and honorary Kiwi (Australian) John Price will attempt to ascend this technical peak, also known as White Wave, via the remote Ramtang Glacier and a combination of the mountain’s North East Face and East Ridge. After a period of acclimatising and route finding, the actual ascent from base camp and return (around 2000 vertical metres) will likely take 6-8 days.
If successful, this will be the highest unclimbed mountain ascended by a New Zealand led team for a number of years, and possibly the highest unclimbed mountain ever by a Kiwi woman. At 27, John could also possibly be the youngest Australian to be successful on an unclimbed mountain of this altitude.
A strong New Zealand team, led by Rob Frost, attempted Anidesha Chuli in 2013. During this attempt, team member Scott Blackford-Scheele fell and was injured while on lead just below the East Ridge. Scott was evacuated from the mountain and the rest of the team abandoned the climb. Rob and the other team members have been very supportive of John, Shelley and Paul’s upcoming attempt, offering invaluable information and advice to help increase the chance of success this time.
Expected Anidesha Chuli Expedition Itinerary (ex-Kathmandu)
- 07-Apr-14 – Arrive in Kathmandu 1700m
- 08-Apr-14 – in Kathmandu 1700m
- 09-Apr-14 – in Kathmandu 1700m
- 10-Apr-14 Drive to East Nepal, O/N Fikkal 1900m
- 11-Apr-14 drive to Taplejung 1800m
- 12-Apr-14 trek to Sinwa 1300m
- 13-Apr-14 trek to Sekathum 1600m
- 14-Apr-14 trek to Amjilosa 2500m
- 15-Apr-14 trek to Phole 2700m
- 16-Apr-14 trek to Ghunsa 3500m
- 17-Apr-14 rest day in Ghunsa 3500m
- 18-Apr-14 trek to Kambachen 4100m
- 19-Apr-14 trek to Ramtang valley 4400m
- 20-Apr-14 trek to Base Camp 4800m
- 21-Apr-14 day contingency day
- 22 -28 April at base camp; reconnaissance of lower route; acclimatising 4800-6000m
- 29-Apr-May15 time to Attempt Anidesha Chuli 4900-6800m
- 16-May-14 trek to Kambachen 4100m
- 17-May-14 trek to Ghunsa 3300m
- 18-May-14 trek to Amjilosa 2500m
- 19-May-14 trek to Chirwa 1600m
- 20-May-14 trek to Taplejung 1800m
- 21-May-14 drive to Fikkal/Birtamod, O/N bus to KTM 100m
- 22-May-14 – KTM 1700m
- 23-May-14- in Kathmandu 1700m
- 24-May-14 – in Kathmandu 1700m
- 25-May-14 Day 49 Fly out of KTM